Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Dear Mr. President

Dear Mr President,
I understand that you have a job to do and that you are trying to do what you think is right for everyone. But please, for once, listen to the little people. Those of us who are lost in the system because we're not on welfare, but we don't make enough for these tax breaks to help us either. Please listen to the families who's husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, and children are putting their lives at risk for a country that they love.  I can't say that I speak for all of them, but please, please, just hear me out.
We don't want longer school days or school years. We see our children for brief periods at a time some days, and then sometimes, not for months or upwards of a year at all. We cherish the few hours between school and bedtime that we get during the day. We look forward to summer break with relish, because that's the only time that we can all take a vacation together to really spend some time with each other. We don't use our vacation time to travel the world. We use it to see family. To let Granny's and Grandpa's see their grandbabies that maybe aren't babies so much anymore. Those days that we can have together are few and far between and we beg that you don't take them away.
As for welfare, there are so many people right now that are abusing the system. There are people on welfare right now that have been on it for years. That don't go out and get jobs because they know that the system is taking care of them. They pretend to look for jobs or they only look at jobs that they know that they don't qualify for. So many people rely on welfare to take care of them completely. I think that welfare should be used only to help you get back on your feet. There should be a strict limit to how long you can receive it. It is up to each one of us to provide for ourselves. Sure, there are going to be times when things are difficult and we will need some help. Yet so many use the benefits and use them and use them. I know several people who have never worked because welfare has always been available to them. I know that there are supposed to be limits and that there are supposed to be cut offs, but they are not enforced. They are not being stuck too. I fully believe that 6 months of benefits in a 5 year time period should be enough to get you back on your feet if you are doing what you can for yourself and your own family. I have had to go on welfare, and I shocked everyone when I voluntarily cut my benefits as soon as I had gotten a job and received a single paycheck. I utilized the service only while I was in dire need of it. That's how it should be.
Now, let's talk about Social Security if you don't mind. I know several people who are receiving it  that also don't need it. A former friend of mine has more income in her household from Social Security than we do, and my husband works in the military full time, and I take in baby sitting jobs whenever I can to help out.  Her husband receives SSI because he has schizophrenia. HER daughter (not his) receives it because he does.  I am fine with that. Now,she has a lawyer and is probably going to be getting even more money because they just took it to the federal courts and fought for it. She admitted to me yesterday that she just quit. That it's easier to let the government take care of them. Do you realize that they are using this money that they get for disability to go to concerts? They just dropped over $400 on concert tickets. Concerts that we can't afford with my husband working his butt off. I stay home because the cost of child care is extreme. So I offer cheap child care whenever someone needs a back up. We still can't afford the things that they can. They eat out nightly, and not always cheap places either. He buys her jewelry just because they have a few extra hundred laying around.  So how is it that we struggle some months to maintain, and yet a family that isn't working, that has a person that is about to receive money because she has manipulated everyone into believing that she is hurt is living a more carefree life than us.  She's not disabled. . She has bragged about how they played the system. Hence why she is now a former friend and no longer a friend.
Immigrants, please please, let's make them legally be here before we help them out. Please. I"m not saying that we shouldn't help them, but let's help the ones that are taking the time to get here legally, instead of rewarding those who are breaking the law.
Oh, I also have a question for you. I'm not trying to be hostile or petty, but I have honestly wondered this. If you provide this medical plan to people, then do we have a right to refuse to pay that tax? I am wondering because if a doctor or a nurse believes that something is morally wrong, then they are not obligated to provide the service. I know this from experience. So since I am against abortion with every fiber of my being, and it is proposed that this medical plan cover abortion, do I not pay it? Because technically, if I pay the tax on it, then I am paying to help someone murder their baby. How do you plan on addressing that issue? Because out of everything, that's what bothers me the most. Knowing that I might be indirectly responsible for the murder of an innocent child.
Please, Mr. Obama, listen to the little voices. I know that we get lost sometimes because we're seen as unimportant, or because we live our lives without causing too many ripples. Don't forget about us. We are still people too, and we still need our President to be our voice.
So if you're reading this, thank you. If not, well, maybe this will put a buzz in someone's ear and they would think to tell you.
Sincerely,
A lost voice

No comments:

Post a Comment